Sports Buddies is a fun way to mentor through participating in and watching sports - and build community with other matches that love sports!
In this initiative, one-to-one mentoring friendships between an adult and youth are formed while engaging in athletic activities. Matches attend 1-2 events per month - all organized by BBBS staff. Activities run about two hours, and a calendar of activities will be provided each month as they are available.
Bigs and Littles only spend time together at BBBS Sports Buddies events or at BBBS agency-sponsored activities. The Little's family is responsible for coordinating transportation to and from activities, and the BBBS Program Coordinator will conduct all scheduling and communication between the Big, Little and Little's family.
Bigs make a six-month commitment with the option to continue their match after the six-month mark.
SPORTS BUDDIES REQUIREMENTS
• Adult Bigs must be at least 18 and out of high school
• Commit to a minimum of six months, 1-2 times a month, after being matched
• Attend BBBS Sports Buddies planned events or other agency sponsored events only
• Little's family provides transportation to events.
• Attend a volunteer information session
• Complete in-person/Zoom interview
• Pass background checks and required references